Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Health is important

I am a survivor with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).

When I was eleven or so years old, maybe ten, I was hit by a car while crossing a street on the way home from a library in Norfolk, Virginia. I lay in a coma for 53 days. The process of waking up was extremely gradual, for me. High school was tough for me, but I got through it. Kids can be mean. But the bullies in high school tend not to always be the biggest obstacles.

I went on and got my Undergraduate degree from Florida State University, and I got my Master's Degree in Library and Information Studies also from Florida State University. I am glad that we live in a society where the disabled citizens can have an opportunity to thrive, with some assistance from Vocational Rehabilitation, or whatever programs are available to provide help.

I met my wife through the use of a calling card I made using a personal computer, and print shop, or something. She called me a few days later, and we hit it off pretty well.

There have been a few health related scares, but fortunately, we are both relatively strong and healthy. For awhile, my wife wanted to keep her Maiden Name, but eventually, she came around when the societal pressures of being married, and traditionally the wife taking the husband's Surname caught up. It is just easier to go with the societal expectations, it is easier to not have to explain to hospital staff that yes, we are married, even though there are two different last names.

I suppose that will be yet another obstacle for the gay couples to meet and overcome. I'm sure there will be other more difficult issues. Splitting up marital assets once divorce happens will probably be troublesome. Perhaps only slightly more complicated than in heterosexual divorces.

It is odd that we had this surgery so that we could eat less, and still feel satisfied. Many people in many countries would enjoy to be able to afford to eat excessively. Supposedly, eating less should result in a longer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment