Saturday, July 27, 2013

I don't understand

I don't understand why almost half of our elected representatives would vote to limit the access that our military (the NSA) has to signals intelligence. Sure, okay, I can sort of see why a 29 year old might be deluded into thinking that he has a patriotic duty to report our capabilities to the world. I guess the youngster didn't make it through basic training, so he might not have fully grasped the importance of following orders.
Sure, maybe they knew that the votes weren't there to have funding pulled back, or whatever limiting mechanism was proposed, but when we were involved in our most recent hot wars, there were sayings that loose lips sink ships. Demanding greater congressional oversight, and approval of operational controls, is dangerous to my way of thinking. The NSA is mostly a military organization, from what I understand. I don't know how deeply intertwined the FBI is with the SIG INT capabilities of the NSA, but I'd suspect that there is considerable separation between organizations.
The US intelligence agencies are good at making use of technology to intercept those who wish to do harm to our country.
A seperate issue is how much of the future work can be done by outside contractors, versus by military folks. It probably won't be implemented immediately, but this could reverse some trends toward more contractors providing for the military. It might cause harm to the non-military employment scenarios imagined in the future, but then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment