Saturday, July 20, 2013

Glenn Greenwald & Edward Snowden

Edward Snowden book: It was only a matter of time. Glenn Greenwald, the investigative reporter who broke the story of the government's surveillance on everyday citizens, is writing a book about notorious leaker Edward Snowden. The book, as yet untitled, will be published in March 2014 by Metropolitan.
Wasn't it Glenn Greenwald who wanted the debate to be about the content of the leaks, rather than the leaker himself? I think the fact that governments spy on their own populations is really a not-a-big-deal type of story. "Dog bites man!" I mean it's what dogs do if provoked.
Edward Snowden probably made things more difficult for people in the future. The law of unintended consequences. There may be less information sharing. But that could have happened even without Edward Snowden. People in power like to have control of their power. This phenomena happens at many places. I guess Edward Snowden being a younger person did not realize this. I hope that he has an enjoyable time in whatever country he ends up at. It would be nice if he had an understanding of the global situation, but I suspect that he might not.
Maybe Russia will quickly get him out of the country. Maybe his language skills are superb. I'd suspect that he probably does not have that much experience with languages, but I could be wrong. Maybe he will learn.
If the Intelligence Community really was concerned about stopping the leaks, it'd seem to me that there are ways to discourage publication. Money is a motivator for many.
I don't know about the Russian criminal elements. I'd suspect they might be curious.
Glenn Greenwald probably might have a better understanding of how the world works.

No comments:

Post a Comment