Friday, July 31, 2009

Shopping for weight loss.

We got back from a shopping trip to Winn Dixie. My wife noticed that the emerald almonds I kind of like are on sale buy one get one free. The 11 ounce Almonds with cocoa powder dusting. The 11 ounce variety in the green canm are usually about $5.99 a can. With the two for one sale, they get down to $3 a can which is a significant value. Consider that the Winn and Lovett Prestige collection almonds are $3.99 for 8 ounces, or the Blue Diamond Vanilla Almonds are also the 8 ounces for $3.99. When one considers that valuation, the Emerald Almonds at $5.99 for 11 ounces seems unreasonable.

If all we got would have been nuts, then our Winn Dixie trip would have been quite reasonable, but no. We ended up getting lots of other stuff, even though our menu tends to be limited. A couple of Paula Deen Cheesy Meatloafs, and some Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. A 10 for $10 deal (frozen veggies), 4 bags of peanuts for the squirrels (along with some other selections), and before long, we're looking at $139.49 with Winn Dixie card savings of $57.92--Woo Woo.

Initially, I was skeptical about almonds. But, over the past couple of weeks, I've come to appreciate almonds more. As a snack, they take more work to eat. Thus I tend not to eat as many of them as I otherwise might if they were easy snacking nuts such as Cashews, or even Pecans. The emerald nuts appear to be different from the Winn & Lovett Cinnamon Toasted Almonds, but even eating the W&L almonds, I can only eat so many of them before the little "hungries" (hungry signals) go away.

I'm eating more than a cup of food. But I guess I've done well with the weight loss. 191.8 was my weight this morning, after getting down recently to 191.4 the day before yesterday. I'm not trying too hard to loose weight. I'm trying to limit the intake of empty calories (but not at the expense of flavor in most cases). I've not had a big amount of ice cream. I've had a couple of spoons full. I've also had a couple of servings of almonds as snacks. Mostly, I guess it's eating small meals in pre-measured containers. Portion control seem,s to be the name of the game.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Actually, you're looking great. I know how hard it is. I had lost 50 lbs. and at that point I turned around and gained 75. It's hard. Keep up the faith!

    ReplyDelete