Thursday, September 19, 2013

Promising Events

Promising Events.
So much in life is lived with a hope for a better future. Trying to become part of that brighter future, for many probably is a big reason to continue. At work, there was a big innovation submission idea program, which used a lot of technology to accept ideas for proposals aimed at trying to improve efficiencies, and trying to improve conditions and help with cost containment.
I submitted an idea about trying to improve the communication between management and employees through greater use of blogs and whatnot, but what was really exciting was seeing a proposal from one of the R&D guys about trying to make use of Google Glass with some of the TBI folks to determine if it can help with way finding and situational awareness. Naturally, a goal would be to help increase the speed of community reintegration.
I engaged the R&D guy in some e-mail communication, and he's a big wheel in the organization, so I was curious as to why the suggestion was made, and he told me that as an administrator, he doesn't do research, the proposal would need to come from a researcher, and be peer reviewed and funded.
As I think I can see the value of the google glass proposal, I also recognize that the costs of the devices are likely high, but I'm just a consumer electronics guy looking at things, not really thinking about the quality of life improvements that could be made. How to justify quality of life improvements on in terms of rehabilitation potentials.
As a rehabilitating TBI survivor type-of-individual, I think it's an awesome idea. I am a big advocate of making greater use of technologies to improve Quality of life measures.
I've wanted to get involved with some of the stuff at work, but as work is, my supervisory chain of command can't allow me to do other stuff. Oh well. It is interesting to be aware of other things happening in rehabilitation spaces.
I like being employed. Contributing to the operations of the computer department by processing laptops is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment