Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chinese Tourists

Chinese Tourists.
I was reading, and I came across this from the NYTimes:
To judge from the grumbling across the globe, such guidelines may be necessary. But the greatest opprobrium seems to be coming from fellow Chinese. In May, a mainland Chinese tourist in Luxor, Egypt, discovered that a compatriot had carved his own hieroglyphics on the wall of a 3,500-year-old temple. “Ding Jinhao was here,” it declared. A photo of the offending scrawl spread rapidly on Chinese social media, and outraged citizens tracked down the 15-year-old vandal. The uproar subsided after his parents issued a public apology.
I'm sorry, but to me that seems pretty funny. I'm sure that the archeologists weren't appreciative of the vandalism. Still, it is a little bit humorous. Imagining the Chinese characters alongside the hieroglyphs.
I realize from our visits to other natinal parks, and have been scolded against taking souvenir rocks from death valley, or wherever, "Imagine what would happen if each of the tourists took a rock." A similar thing could apply to Chinese graffitti.

No comments:

Post a Comment