Sunday, August 24, 2014

OK, I've started to assemble the group.

Admittedly, my circle of TBI friends is possibly smaller than that of others. I had a really good time communicating with a fellow through the use of communicator over Facebook, but Facebook limits the amount of text that can be displayed at one time, and as such probably imposes some limitations on expressing complex ideas with many words. I am hopeful that this largely e-mail distribution list way of engaging with other TBI survivors will work out like I am hoping that it will. I know from experience, that big distribution lists can become difficult to manage. With google groups, in theory, it is possible to access the groups through a web based interface, so if traffic were to become too big, accessing it through the web based interface should be fairly easy. I'd like for more disabled people to be accessing technology to engage with others. I understand that there was an article published about the use of Facebook among TBI survivors to build social networks, and engage with others. This article was written by someone out of Mount Sinai School of Medicine. From another conversation I've had with a caregiver, she revealed that there seems to be more supportive communities in New York City, maybe something about having a critical mass of people, or just the numbers of people with similar conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment