Saturday, October 29, 2011

I have a story to tell

I have a powerful story to tell, or so I've been told.  I agree that the story about perseverance should probably be told in a book.  Maybe there could be a big enough of a market of people who would actually buy a book about a fellow who 29 years after an accident is kind of impressed at the little acts of being able to more fully utilize his left hand in performing tasks.  The other day at work, I was rather pleased with myself that I was able to bounce a ball down to the ground, and alternate from my right hand to my left hand with catching the ball as it bounced back up.  Most people probably would not be impressed, but considering that I have spent many years where my left hand was not used, due to traumatic brain injury, and muscles atrophied, I am pleased.
Recovery from a Traumatic Brain Injury is a process.  I don't think it ever finishes.  Well, it will finish with death (at least as we know it).  People do grow.  The mind gets new knowledge, new experiences, and processes it, adding those to the memory banks.  
The physical abilities may take longer to be reclaimed.  Some people may not be able to get back to where they were.  But who knows for sure what limits there really are?  I suppose that some may find inspiration in the fact that I have been able to overcome many obstacles.
Many people want for others to succeed, and find success.  Life is generally better when situations are perceived as a win-win for those involved.  Work is happier, and people, I would suppose, are happier, and productivity goes up, and good things usually follow.
I guess there are those individuals in any organization who might see the situation as a zero-sum gain.  In order for someone to win, another must lose, and in order for people to be happy, others must also be sad.  Well, that doesn't make much sense, but who knows, it is theoretical, and I realize that people determine happiness in different ways, so it is not a zero-sum gain.
Each Brain Injury is different, as are most people who get brain injuries coming from different places with different knowledge skills and abilities.  Perhaps with time and practice, I could become a better guitar player, but I think that given my choices in how I choose to allocate time, I probably won't excel at  guitar any time soon.  It is extremely interesting to me how instruments can be made to produce sounds and patterns of sound.  I am pretty sure that I'm not the only one fascinated by such topics.
Many people probably enjoy the process of making the music, and a few are able to do it as a primary means of support for themselves.  

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment